Monday, April 12, 2010

First attempt at EZ maps.

Over the Easter weekend I had visited some family then returned home at about 3 am . I don't mind night drives. Soon the CH EZ was loaded on the PC and I was ready for an all niter.
I had played the first two planets quite quickly and now on the hardest level on the last map.
My strategy was the same, for the first two maps - no upgrades except ammo when they came available.
With the two styles of oke's ( 180 process point and several under 200 pp ) and a low budget I quickly took the enemy's bases. Soon after the second map I had a budget bigger than Dethlocks concert tour budget. From here on through to the end I maxed out a few factory's so I could produce then form a 180 squad every turn and overwhelm the enemy with more than 2 or 3 180oke's to their 1 . Towards the last couple of maps the enemy has stronger oke's and as such I would have to use two 180 squads to destroy the enemy squad.
Finally the last map, When I first saw the layout I thought....damn this looks hard.
I had to max out all factory's and crank out as many 180 okes every turn. By the 4th turn I had 13 or 14 squads on the map attacking bases. After the first battle against a enemy tank and 2 legged shotgun team vs my cards 26, 27 and 28, I started to design a couple of stronger oke's under 200 pp that where strong in tank killing.

To my surprise I did not need them as I had so many 180okes squads already on the map that the enemy was loosing by shear numbers.
As soon as there was only 1 base left to capture, the BOSS squads ambushes my weakest base and captures it . The heavily armored Boss okes charge into battle aggressively in a tight pack shooting a metal storm of assault ammo. Once my prowler was hit and knocked down the Boss okes finished it in seconds. It took 3 or 4 of my 180 squads to defeat a BOSS squad. Eventually the boss squads ran out of fuel and ammo around the their 3rd consecutive battle and the 180s slowly whittled away at the BOSS armour until they were destroyed..

After completing the game I ran all oke's I created thought the ranking tests and against each other.
The results are interesting and useful for determining what oke design is best for playing the maps.
The boRg was designed to beat other prowler 180s in competition and did not score as good as the general purpose design I created while playing the last map. I'll try the FIREant oke program when I replay the hard maps again.
Here is a slide show of screen shots. Includes the hard map after beating the game, and all the OKE's ranked. I put comments on the photos but to be visible you may have to open the album.

5 comments:

  1. I just wanted to let you know that I'm near completion on a similar game that will have in-browser creation and testing, and then server-side matches and weekly tournaments against other players with various rulesets and game types. I am implementing rankings, levels, and retired hall-of-fame bots are available for each player to test their bots against. The server-side simulator simulates 50 matches per second, so tournaments will be large and therefore interesting. The basic functionality is feature-complete, and I am currently building in the community features like tournaments, matches, and rankings. Alpha testing begins in January. If you're interested in the game, is there a way I can contact you? I'll check back here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anonymous

    I pray this is not a joke. This sounds awesome! Id like to help out if i can. Do you have a development blog i can follow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. oops it's me OKE Doke. btw. posted with the wrong account. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great news. Please keep in touch, hopefully soon. I'm so excited.
    I'm very hesitant at posting me email addy. my youtube acct is "Turbowtie" though.
    A blog to follow is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete