Sunday, February 7, 2010

Next VS Challange

Sorry to have been away last couple days. I've arranged to switch internet providers on Feb 11 but on friday they pulled the plug . Long story short - I have access to the web today.

It looks like things have evolved in the last month to the point where we know how to share game saves, organize battles , post videos, and such. OKE Doke's website may be still a work in progress but in my view its scores top marks.

So now that we have tried a no upgrade category that was more of a test I thought we should move on to the next level.
So here is what I propose:


Still use the Prowler or Prowler II but include all weapons and upgrades in the inventory ( as it was meant to be ) .
Players post a game save with 3 Prowler OKE ' s on the card . Each OKE must have a different primary weapon. ( design one with laser, one with assault gun , and last one with shotgun )
This will give us 9 oke's total ( more if the blog followers decide to participate ) and maybe we can figure out how to create a tournament of 1 on 1 and/or 3 on 3 battles, including an open mixed class ( specify which combo of oke's to use ) team battles.
There are many variations we can come up with for battles with the 3 oke's we create. Laser only, shotgun only etc.
Maybe I'm straying from the K.I.S.S. rule.

We can play around with this criteria for a month or so before introducing another OKE design.

I would like to get input, and suggestions on this idea, as well as all agree on the match time limit ( 50 to 600 seconds ) on the competition .

I thought of just doing a low class competition but this would decrease the challenge and longevity of the game.

Your thoughts ?


edit : Would it be better to continue with a 180 process point class for a little while longer?





6 comments:

  1. I'm on-board with the idea of building 3 unique prowlers, this will certainly make Prowler battles far more interesting.

    As for the time limits, I ran the last battles at 600 seconds because I knew our designs where based on "survivor" builds, and I wanted to see more definitive victories. (i.e. a bodycount.) so my preference for any battle is 600. regardless of how aggressive a program might be.

    Thanks for the positive review: ^^
    Work on OverKill Engineer continues, I'm still searching for a viable method of feedback for viewers/members. Which isn't terribly important as your blog is easily the de facto "forum" for this purpose. I've opened a group for anything not related directly to battle talk. (site suggestions, help, things of that nature) so as not to muck up your blog with irrelevant crap. (like this long comment!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, I didn't see your edit. My Rude2Point didn't satisfy the 180 process criteria, so a rematch is in order anyway. I'll upload a 180 class OKE and wait for what ever revenge you can cook up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've set up a hall of fame, its empty atm of course, but I think its fitting that the award goes to the winner of an official "180" class tournament. Yet another fan has popped up, so perhaps we'll have enough competitors for a few rounds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to see the 180 class remain active. The 180 process class eliminates the " rock - paper - scissor " variables. This would be a true " best program design " challenge competition . Perhaps the 180 challenge should be left open and updated when new submissions are entered and run on the VS tournament as well as the latest challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. /agree, the 180 will defiantly continue to see simulation. I'm merely drawing attention to the 180 class with a challenge.

    I personally haven't experienced the "RPS" game mechanics you speak of. Only a contrast between fight and flight in the software. A bit like a vertebrate stress response. (minus the ability to learn) The hardware has similar binary characteristics. (This should be an entire thread on its own)
    one last observation though...
    When two opposing units have identical hardware it will always come down to who has the best program design.(intentional or otherwise) So other "best program" challenges will usually try to level the playing field.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally finished uploading team "3evils" for the prowler tournament. The computer didn't freeze thankfully. The programs are based on the 180 blueprint with some tweaks to work with the different cpu speed and weapons. I just wanted to get something posted as I have been busy last couple of weeks and looking ahead CH playtime will be limited. I have a few more original programs in the rough I'll polish and post for the next challange.
    I have to admit that as soon as I load the game, a rip in space/time continuum occurs - what feels like minutes is actually hours. I have done way too many late nights playing CH during the 5 day work week.

    ReplyDelete