Monday, July 6, 2009

The 180 OKE

From Carnage Heart Screenshots
Been a while since last post but haven't forgot about the game. Wow, Its July already Happy belated Canada Day and Independence Day to my friends in the south .
Just curious if any one has had a chance to pull out the CH disc in the last couple of months. I have not had a chance to play in the last 6 weeks , the summer weather is here and lots of stuff to do around the house as well as getting away to my folks place in Parry Sound on weekends. I still think about the game and look forward to an hour of free time. Winter is just 5 month away and no doubt will have lots of Carnage playtime.

What I wanted to talk about was the 180 OKE as mentioned in the title.
I have played though the hard level many times now with no upgrades and know what type of program is required to beat the game. The 180 is a real bare bones, and cheap oke to produce.
Whats cool about 180 is that in the factory you can upgrade the production line to the max process which is 180. When I start a level I make sure I have 3 lines and max them out .
From Carnage Heart Revival

This way each turn 3 okes are made and 3 can be deployed. On some of the hard maps there is a bottle neck where only one squad can pass at a time so as long as one squad is sent out each turn the okes can march through with out stepping over each other. Lots of time testing is required to tune as they are handicapped in every way . I place a high priority on defense, dodging bullets etc. Believe it or not, I can complete a level in 14-16 turns.

Just a thought.. would this be a cool way to battle each others OKE's in a tournament? The "180" class?

Anyway , that's all for now, check back as I may edit in some other stuff.



S.

13 comments:

  1. Hey its good to see there's still life on Europa!

    Hope you still use this blog.

    It's no surprise you can win so fast. a good program in a basic OKE means you can pump out units cheaply, quickly and early. How high do you upgrade your factory slots?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi o0Soule0o

    I'm at work right now, have to keep this msg short. Will edit later.

    Glad to see another CH fan stop by.

    Factory slots are max'd out.
    At the start I have 3 lines with my 180oke in production.


    Do you still play the game once in a while?

    S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I play it quite frequently. Its like having OCD.

    I've had a look at some of these posted fan programs. Fascinating stuff, completely difrent approach than I use.

    Is there an active community for CH?
    I'd love to see this genre rescued from the brink of obscurity.

    Well you'll certainly hear more from me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A few years ago there was a small community - Carnage heart depot, one of the followers to this blog was active member. I wish I had known then as I would of participated. I have a link to the site.

    Its been over a decade since the game was released and most of the old school players now have to be in their late 30's or older, have a little time as they have family, careers and little time to play a brain game like CH . As you know, this game requires time testing ( at least for me )oke programs before its put into a production line or competition.

    Are you using a Playstation or emulator?
    just wondering as I'm trying to figure out a way to swap programs via uploads/downloads through a file share host or e-mail or ?? rather than the tedious task of accurately manually copying settings from a screen .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heh I remember fondly the hours I wasted in high school scribbling programs on graph paper. I practically ran the programs in my head long before they ever reached the game.

    Now I strictly use Emulation like epsxe and psX1.13.

    Memorycard files ar Tiny. and i upload files to Dropbox and share them as a link.

    Like this: (hope i can post links here)
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3416876/CarnageHeart.mcr

    I love emulating CH for the reason you can fast forward through the battles and go through the testing cycles quickly. Why last Saturday i nearly completed 8 maps while watching Movies with the wife. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, you're probably close for most people who started this game, but you might be interested to know that I started in middle school. The reasons I keep not having enough time are college (last semester, double major, president of computer club), my programming project (a Java RPG), finding a job for after I graduate, and setting up a wedding (mine of course - July 9).

    On the other subject, I emulate Carnage Heart exactly the same way, so that method of sharing will definitely work for me. However, I always want to be able to commit time to compete if I spend the time to look at someone else's programs, so it may be a while before I have the time to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. If there others where interested in submitting files, I wouldn't mind in organizing a tournament. I would run best-out-of-3 vs battles (to rule out emulation errors) and post the recorded results on Youtube.

    Complete with sports commentary :D

    and I can make the time. not a problem.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, if you wanted to host it, I would come up with a saved game file, so you would have at least one taker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would be glad to host competitions. I understand the difficulties finding time to organize such things. Especially for a game that can suck hours of ones life away.

    I'll do some preparations and present an official location for uploads.

    And then I can stop spamming this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Check out the game save a little further down this blog. ( Artdink staffs oke's from Playstation Underground 1.1 disk.) Its a .bin file that the psX emulator reads in the memory card slot file. If it works we may have another easy way to share files.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also try my "first game save" file just above the Artdink . Just curious to know if it works.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In light of this new activity, I decided to start a new game of Carnage Heart. Hopefully I'll finish it in the next few days and then I'll be back in the game.

    Also, since I've been away from it for a long time, I'm sure to come up with some new ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Look fwd to your game save file Watson.

    ReplyDelete