Saturday, February 21, 2009

Test and Tune

I'm excited to see a couple of die hard CH guys show  interest in the "revival" . Also, I'm looking fwd to hearing from the others that up until a couple of years ago were active .

 Well, I finally started playing the game.  Using the emulator on the PC is great. I also have my same playstat!on setup running from 10 years ago. I can now see the contents of my old oke programs .  Hopefully , I will copy the strong ones over to the PC. Its more for reference now.

I started playing with a clean slate. Clicked on Callisto ( hard - lol ) and started building an oke. That was easy as there is not many weapon options, now for the program........ well .....15 minutes later I inserted a blank command then another blank... my, I'm on a roll...Then It hit me. This is a brand new game  to me. In a way I was happy as I know that the challenge is there which is what I like, but a little worried that my mental health might be compromised from age. Are the college days catching up to me? They say we only use 2% of our brain, so I wasn't too worried when inhaled the fumes back then..... Well once I started inserting real commands it did not take long before I had a working oke. The best part of the game is the tweaking and the occasional re-write. I had not actually played the game for several days as I was not happy with the program. Eventually I started though the maps. By Map 4 I realized I could capture all bases on the map just using level 1 and a few level 2 oke's . Winning in under 17 turns - not fun. So to make it more challenging I surrounded the enemies last big base and let the game evolve. After 160 or so turns, all parts were available and purchased/optimized . I should of done this on the first couple of maps so the remaining 6 maps would be tougher as the enemy will have the same oke's  the heavy weapons and armour. I'll keep this in mind next time I replay the Calli map.

 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Steve,
    Just finaly got an emulator working!
    Noticed that watsons save game has been removed, Which is a shame.
    If you get a chance & youve got some OKE's already saved, could you please post the MCD file?
    I shall get one done myself as soon as posible !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to suggest that on the next blog.
    Ya , I guess it ( watsons saves ) :( gets removed if no activity after a year or so. I'm using pSX 1.13 emu. I assume this does not matter with different emu's ( ePSXe etc...)
    I have a couple of good level 1 and 2 prowler walking oke's so far. Thats all I required to beat the maps. I took some screen shots .I have also a special game save for you and others. I'll post a teaser on the next blog.
    Is there a preferred file host that we should use for the saves? I never used one yet.

    ReplyDelete